Note: The video streaming will start at 9:00 a.m. on October 25. Requires Penn State authentication.
October 25, Registration & Introduction
Nittany Lion Inn Ballroom
|8:45 - 9:00 A.M.
Morning refreshments available
Visit our registration page to Register
|9:00 - 9:10 A.M.
Gen Ed is about Student Learning
2013 Gen Ed Video; 5:49
|9:10 - 10:00 A.M.
Intro: History of Gen Ed & Overview
10:15 - Noon, Concurrent Sessions
Managing the Senate Recertification Process:
- Understand the senate curriculum process and workflow
- Identify proper consultation group for a course proposal
- Create high quality responses to the curricular proposal prompts, particularly course objectives and learning assessments
- Identify key contacts in the senate office, the Office for General Education, and academic units
- Maggie Slattery, Assistant Dean for General Education and Director
- Suzanna Linn, Professor of Political Science, College of the Liberal Arts
- Suzanne Weinstein, Interim Associate Vice Provost of Learning Outcomes Assessment
Promotion, Dossiers, and Structures that Support Integrative Teaching
- Identify university policies intended to support innovative teaching
- Document innovative and integrative teaching well in your dossier
- Synthesize innovative and integrative teaching in your promotion narrative/statement
- Nan Crouter, Dean, Health & Human Development
- Wendy Hanna-Rose, Interim Department Head, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Eberly College of Science
- Richard Brazier, Associate Dean for Faculty & Research, Commonwealth Campuses
- Kathleen Bieschke, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Effective Teaching in Integrative Studies Courses
- Differentiate between a “regular” and “integrative thinking” courses and identify associated behaviors required of students and faculty in the latter
- Recognize student challenges to developing skills and identify ways to help them adjust
- Identify faculty obstacles to and solutions for collaborating across domains with colleagues with different scholarly traditions and values
- Develop explicit learning objectives and select teaching strategies for an assignment or activity that promotes integrative thinking across disciplines
- Edmund Hansen, Senior Research Associate, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
- Michael Murphy, Research Associate, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
Inclusive Teaching in Gen Ed Courses
- Identify established inclusive teaching practices that you already use and commit to trying additional inclusive teaching strategies
- Discuss why these practices are inclusive and why inclusion is critical for student success in Gen Ed courses
- Recognize contexts and actions that create exclusion in our courses
- Strategize alternative actions and plan potential responses for when exclusionary incidents occur
- Angela Linse, Executive Director and Associate Dean for Teaching Excellence, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
Noon Lunch, Nittany Lion Inn Ballroom
|12:15 - 1:00 P.M.
Wrap-up/Q&A with Provost Jones
The conference with culminate with comments and a Q&A session featuring Provost Nick Jones. Dean Peggy Johnson,
Schreyer Honors College, will provide wrap-up comments about the conference and introduce Provost Jones.
Return to Conference Announcement