Fall 2015 Penn State Course in College Teaching
This highly successful 8-week course combines the best elements of a collaborative learning environment with those of a seminar on pedagogy. Discussion of the current literature on teaching and learning, as well as facilitation by instructors from the Schreyer Institute's experienced faculty, help prepare participants to design and implement both practical and reflective instructional activities. The impact of the course is evident in the number of participants who intend to implement new teaching practices as a result of taking the course.
For the required Course Assignments, participants do the following:
- Revise an existing syllabus from their disciplines and explain the rationale behind the changes they made;
- lead a short "micro-teach" in which they teach an introductory concept from their disciplines to their fellow CCT participants; and
- write a statement explaining their philosophy of teaching.
Detailed instructor feedback is provided for each Course Assignment, including information about any areas in need of revision.
Upon successfully completing the course, participants should be able to:
- apply effective principles of course design and planning
- integrate teaching and assessment strategies to enhance student learning
- reflect on personal beliefs and practices about teaching and learning
- locate resources on teaching and learning available at Penn State
The Course in College Teaching is a free, non-credit course and is open to anyone who teaches at Penn State, from TAs to senior faculty.
More information about CCT dates and requirements will be posted soon.
How Learning Works (2010) by Susan Ambrose, Michael Bridges, Michele DiPietro, Marsha Lovett, and Marie Norman. Jossey Bass, San Francisco. Copies available at the Penn State Bookstore in the HUB-Robeson Center. Online copies can also be accessed through Penn State Libraries.
Registration for the Fall 2015 Course in College Teaching will open August 1.
Graduate student instructors
Completion of the Course in College Teaching satisfies one requirement of the Graduate School Teaching Certificate.