Scanning Operations offers bubble sheet scanning for Penn State courses.
Attention Canvas users:
You can now download the Canvas CSV Score report directly from the Instructor Tools web site. On the reports tab, under report options, choose the "Custom" reports.
The basic workflow of the system is described below. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
To Submit an Exam for Scanning
- Administer your exam. If you need blank scan sheets, you can order forms from the Scanning Office.
- Bubble in an answer key for each version of the exam.
- Fill out and print the Job Submittal Form at your desk or at one of the computers located in the Scanning Operations office in Pollock building.
- If you have multiple exam versions and you would like a combined Item Analysis, fill out an Item Unscrambler Form.
- If you have questions that have different point values, you will need to fill out a Item Weighting Form or Response Weighting Form.
- Paper copies of all forms are available at Scanning Operations.
- Bring or mail the printed forms, keys and student response sheets to the Scanning Operations office in Pollock building.
- Processing time is 2 to 3 business days.
- We will notify you by email when your data is ready.
Please do not make any changes to the exam on the Instructor Tools web site until you receive an email that your job is complete.
After Student Sheets are Scanned
- Depending on your instructions, your sheets will be returned to you in campus mail, or you may pick them up.
- Sheets with errors will be separated and the error noted. Sheets with missing or incorrect student numbers may be resubmitted as an Append Job.
- All other errors or corrections to your exam may be made on the Instructor Tools web site. If you need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Per-section score report and missed response report (CSV)
- Combined section Angel score import file (CSV)
- Combined section Canvas score import file (CSV)
- Combined section data report (student responses and keys) (CSV)
- Cronbach's-Alpha-based item analysis (PDF)
One report per key unless you provided a item unscramble form.
Forms for Submitting Jobs
Ordering Scan Sheets and Getting Reports
Where to Find Us
Fall and Spring Hours
8:00A - 5:00P, Monday through Friday
5:00P – 11:00P Drop Box
Closed University holidays
8:00A – 5:00P Monday – Thursday
8:00A – 3:00P Friday
Exams dropped off after 3:00 p.m. on Friday may not be processed until Monday.
During finals week (May 1 - 5), we will not mail exams. Exams designated as return by campus mail will be mailed after May 9, 2017.
9:00A - 3:00P, Monday through Thursday
Closed Fridays* and University holidays
Summer Finals - 9:00A - 3:00P
2 to 3 business days
For your convenience, materials may be left in the drop slot adjacent to the entrance to 105 Pollock. Please review the drop off checklist (pdf) before dropping your materials in the slot.