About the Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
The vision of the Schreyer Institute is for all Penn State students to be engaged in and responsible for their own learning by means of excellent teaching.
The mission of the Schreyer Institute is to advance and inspire excellence in Penn State’s teaching and learning community.
We define Penn State’s teaching and learning community broadly to include any person involved with Penn State students in an instructional context. We primarily work with faculty (of any rank or title) and graduate students but we count advisors, administrators and staff among our constituencies.
Specifically, we help students learn by making it easier for instructors to:
- use effective teaching methods
- engage all students in the learning process
- effectively assess students’ learning
- enhance the value of teaching excellence
- inform decision-making about teaching and learning
How does the Institute achieve its mission?
We work with the teaching and learning community in the following ways:
- Course Observations
- Testing and Scanning Services
- Publications and Resource Materials