Course Design Academy 2016
CDA has filled for 2016
Do you have a new course to design? Have you wanted to re-design a course you’ve been teaching for a while?
Spend five days over the summer designing your course in the company of other faculty from across the University. As a participant in this highly interactive faculty learning community, you’ll apply principles of learning and assessment, as well as the latest research on teaching, to your specific course. Inspired by the CDA, previous participants have collaborated on grant projects, presented at teaching conferences, and given invited talks on teaching topics.
You will receive a copy of the popular book How Learning Works (2010). We’ll leverage the 7 principles of learning outlined in the book to help you develop a course that is learning-centered and utilizes the most current research in higher education teaching. By the end of the course, you will have developed a coherent and well-aligned (i.e., clearly connected objectives, learning activities, assessment) course syllabus. Along with the syllabus, you'll be creating an overall course design document; and given the considerable progress you will make on these documents, much of your summertime course planning work will be done.
The Schreyer Institute Course Design Academy is intense. There are other models across the nation for this sort of course design institute (and many charge high fees). Ours is not only free but is tailored to the needs of Penn State faculty. Whether yours is a familiar face at the Schreyer Institute, or if this will be a new connection, you can expect ongoing support even after you leave the Academy.
Here's what some of our previous CDA participants had to say about their experience:
- Great Program!! Great to interact with colleagues from other disciplines.
- An amazingly helpful way to kick off my summer. THANK YOU!
- It made a huge difference in my attitude on returning to the classroom in the fall, and it prompted me to develop a few new strategies that led to better work from my students.
- It was well run and those in charge were really experts in their fields.
- I appreciated the program, found it very helpful, and it also gave me confidence in teaching in the fall semester, as I have been out of the teaching realm for about 20 years.
- I would love to do this again to redesign courses I have taught before!
Academy class size is limited, so don’t delay! Applicants accepted into the class will be notified by e-mail.
You must be available the following dates:
May 10, 11, & 12, 2016
9:00A - 4:00P
June 15, 2016
July 13 Course Presentation
9:00A - 2:00P