Take Action for Student Learning (TASL)
Take Action for Student Learning (TASL) is a free, non-credit, entirely online course that is open to full-time Penn State faculty of any rank/status who are currently teaching or who have done so recently. TASL replaces the Summer Course in College Teaching for Faculty and is offered only during the summer.
This four-week, largely asynchronous, online course provides an opportunity for faculty from all disciplines to apply a problem-based approach to course revision. Participants will identify a teaching challenge or particular course topic with which students typically struggle and develop a means of improving and assessing student learning on that topic. The course includes discussion and application of research- and evidence-based effective teaching and assessment methods and draws from the experiences of individual participants.
Course Structure and Assignments
The course is broken into three asynchronous online modules, each of which may take up to two hours to complete, and three, two-hour Zoom meetings for a total of 12 contact hours.
Faculty are eligible to earn a completion certificate by
- participating in all online activities and weekly discussion forums;
- attending at least two of three synchronous Zoom sessions; and
- successfully completing three certificate assignments
- a draft of a learning activity and corresponding assessment
- peer edit of a learning activity and corresponding assessment
- final draft of a learning activity and corresponding assessment
While this course does not serve as a formal “certification” process, it does provide you with documentation of your participation in it. This certificate may be included in your teaching portfolio as evidence of your professional development as an instructor.
- Apply effective principles of course design and planning
- Integrate teaching and assessment strategies that enhance student learning
- Reflect on their beliefs and practices about teaching and learning
- Develop an intervention to address an identified problem area for student learning
TASL is open to Penn State faculty of any rank/status who are currently teaching or who have done so recently. Those with no previous teaching experience should take the Instructional Foundations Series.
There is no required textbook. Brief, weekly readings will be provided in Canvas instead.
TASL will return in Summer 2020. Apply in Spring 2020.
Please contact one of the course facilitators with your questions about the course.