Schreyer Institute Grants
Our mission is to advance and inspire excellence in Penn State’s teaching and learning community. To accomplish that we offer a portfolio of grant oppotunities for Penn State faculty, departments, and degree-granting programs seeking support for teaching and learning endeavors primarily in undergraduate education.
Support for these projects can involve funding and/or consultations with Institute faculty consultants on course design, as well as funding for travel to present at conferences on teaching and learning.
Please visit the appropriate page for additional information about deadlines, funding amounts, and eligibility. If you have questions about any of our grants programs, please send them to us at SITE@psu.edu.
One of the most common questions we get is what we can/cannot fund. Because we offer an array of funding opportunities in our grants portfolio, we always recommend discussing your plans with one of our faculty consultants prior to submitting a proposal.
What we can fund
Each program listed to the right funds different activities and items. Please see each grant page for specifics of what that grant program funds.
What we cannot fund
Please be aware that because our funding comes from specific endowments, we cannot fund:
- Salaries (no faculty/staff salaries, no graduate assistantships; wage-payroll for students only in unusually, well-justified circumstances)
- Activities expected of faculty as part of typical course preparation and development (nor can we fund graduate students to do them on behalf of faculty)
- Study abroad or study away programs
- Incentives, raffle prizes, gift cards, or monetary awards for participants
- Donations to organizations (e.g., in lieu of entrance fees)
- Membership fees
- Multi-year proposals (funds must be spent during the fiscal year July 1-June 30)
- Goods and services from international vendors