We offer paper-based exam scanning (aka bubble sheets) for Penn State courses. Please use our order form to request a supply of blank answer sheets.
Please note safety procedures for Fall 2020
- To prevent overcrowding in the scanning office, the door to the scanning office will be locked and you will not be able to use the computers in the scanning office to print your Scanning Request Form.
- You can fill and print your Scanning Request Form online.
- Submit your scanning requests by campus mail to reduce traffic in the Testing Center.
- If you need to personally submit your forms due to the size of the request, you can drop off the forms in the Testing Center lobby. Notify the front desk staff so that we can collect them immediately.
- We will mail scanned forms back to the instructor the day after we scan the request unless it is too large to mail.
Submit an Exam
- See Scanning Best Practices for information on how to prepare and submit an exam for scanning.
- Fill out and print the Scanning Request Form at your desk or at one of our computers—include any additional weighting or unscrambling forms.
- Bring or mail the printed forms, keys and student response sheets to 105 Pollock Building.
After Student Sheets are Scanned
- We will notify you by email when your data is ready. Please do not make any changes to the exam on the Instructor Tools web site until you receive our email that your job is complete.
- Sheets with errors are separated and the error noted.
- Sheets with missing or incorrect student numbers may be resubmitted as an Append Request.
- All other errors or corrections to your exam may be made on the Instructor Tools web site.
Instructors can use the Instructor Tools web site to email each student a report with their exam results. Only the instructor or designated proxy can release this report.
Scanning Data Expiration
The scanning system retains data only for the current and immediate past semester. Please download your results and reports within this time frame. We recommend you store these data with a copy of your exam and the student scan sheets. The exam and scan sheets are the official university record and must be retained by the instructor for one year (see General Retention Schedule, Student Records, Examinations & Answer Sheets).
Please send your questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where to Find Us105 Pollock Building
Fall and Spring Hours8:00A - 5:00P, Monday through Friday
An after hours drop box is available when there is evening computer-based testing.Closed University holidays
Finals Schedule8:00A – 5:00P Monday – Thursday
8:00A – 3:00P Friday
Exams dropped off after 3:00 p.m. on Friday may not be processed until Monday. During finals week, we will not mail exams until the following week.
Summer Hours9:00A - 3:00P, Tuesday through Thursday
Closed Fridays (except when finals fall on a Friday) and University holidays